Sunday, June 5, 2011

Concept, Wrong.



Being a long-time web developer, I know better than go experimental on my visitors without seriously considering the consequences of psychologically messing with what they consider to be the "norm". Web designs have been studied over and over again and what's been tried and true is tried and true for a reason.

It works.

Web development is psychological. Visitors tend to want to look in certain locations for information, they want their navigational menus in certain places. So, before you go experimental, funkadelic disco on your portfolio, think about the effects that your site will have on my brain.

This is my brain.
This is my brain on your site.
Please don't do that to me.

http://kashiwasato.com - A horrible example of experimental gone wrong. Why? Because it's confusing to visitors... I had no idea what I was looking at for the first two minutes! Also, it's full-screen flash which means that no iPhone, iPad or mobile devices without Flash support can access this portfolio. Get with the AJAX and HTML5 program.

http://clearmediawebsites.co.uk - Freaking gorgeous. Clean layout and updated technologies (AJAX) without going crazy. I love the grid layout of their portfolio page. I'll probably adopt that.

No comments:

Post a Comment